02 August, 2009

Sister, you've been on my mind
Sister, we're two of a kind
So, sister, I'm keepin' my eye on you.

I betcha think I don't know nothin'
But singin' the blues, oh, sister,
Have I got news for you, I'm something,
I hope you think that you're something too

Scufflin', I been up that lonesome road
And I seen alot of suns going down
Oh, but trust me,
No-o low life's gonna run me around.

So let me tell you something Sister,
Remember your name, No twister
Gonna steal your stuff away, my sister,
We sho' ain't got a whole lot of time,
So-o-o shake your shimmy Sister,
'Cause honey the 'Shug' is feelin' fine.

I watched "The Color Purple" today and this song stuck out to me. Its called "Miss Celie's Blues". Miss Celie is the focus character of the movie and the song is sung by Shug Avery....the mistress of Celie's husband. By this time in the movie, they have become friends. This is a song of trust and hope sung from one woman to another.
No matter what they had put each other through, that bond lasted and continued and was strengthened!
WOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment